CBD is getting attention from all corners of the world and thank goodness for all the right reasons. In many types of research, it has shown promise in treating pain, nausea, anxiety, and depression – without getting users intoxicated. But how does it affect hunger?
For those who are not versed in CBD?
Cannabis plants contain over 100 cannabinoids, the majority of which have unknown medicinal and psychotropic properties. CBD and THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) the principal psychoactive cannabinoid, are the two most studied cannabinoids. THC gets you high, whereas CBD does not. And, as it turns out, they have varied effects on appetite.
What does the research say?
Worldwide, it is very much famous that consuming cannabis can increase your appetite. Cannabis is known to create ‘the munchies,’ or a high hunger response, even if you have just eaten. But does it really suppress your hunger or stimulate it? Let’s find out.
- The link between cannabis and increased appetite is due to the presence of THC (the psychoactive ingredient present in marijuana), which interacts with regions of the brain that drive appetite, resulting in a feeling of hunger. THC causes the well-known appetites for sweet and fatty meals via numerous methods.
- To begin, THC increases the hormone ghrelin, which causes you to feel hungry. THC, on the other hand, might raise ghrelin and cause you to feel hungry even if your stomach isn’t empty.
- THC causes hunger by activating cannabinoid 1 (CB1) receptors in the olfactory bulb and hypothalamus of your brain, which are responsible for hunger, thirst, smell, taste, energy, and body temperature.
- When your stomach is empty, you produce more of the hunger hormone ghrelin generated by gastrointestinal cells, which tells your brain to generate a sense of hunger. THC’s activation of CB1 causes the hormone ghrelin to be released. When your stomach is empty, ghrelin signals to your brain that you are hungry.
- THC increases dopamine, the “feel-good” chemical in the brain so you get more pleasure from eating. Because THC heightens the senses of smell and taste, people are more likely to want to eat.
- However, it is also seen that there are some strains found in the cannabis plant that can lower or suppress appetite. There are some researches that also state that CBD does not stimulate the appetite rather it helps to regulate your appetite. And, it does not immediately increase appetite or hunger in the same way as THC and other cannabinoids that bind to cannabinoid 1 (CB1) receptors do.
- CBD oil capsules, on the other hand, does not cause the munchies, according to the experts. However, if it is added to foods and beverages or used as a prescription, it may stimulate hunger in a different way. CBD helps relieve nausea and can calm your nervous system and digestive tract which helps you eat more.
- Nausea is a frequent but unpleasant bodily experience marked by a strong desire to vomit. Anxiety, stress, digestive issues, drugs, or chemotherapy treatment are all possible reasons for nausea. CBD reduces nausea and increases appetite.
- CBD oil capsules have been shown in animal studies to activate serotonin receptors. The activation of serotonin receptors promotes calmness while also relieving you from worry and stress, both of which can cause mild-to-moderate nausea.
- CBD stimulates appetite by improving gastrointestinal health. CBD improves gastrointestinal health and has the potential to treat inflammatory bowel illness and stomach inflammation.
- CBD also relieves discomfort, and having less pain may increase appetite. Because of this ability, doctors can prescribe specific strains of cannabis to patients to help stimulate their appetite, especially those recovering from cancer treatments.
So, depending on what type of strain you are consuming or have been prescribed, cannabis can cause both appetite stimulation and appetite suppression.
So we are saying,
CBD is a psychotropic but non-intoxicating cannabinoid found in all cannabis forms, including hemp and marijuana. CBD, unlike THC, does not make you hungry. It indirectly stimulates your appetite by avoiding nausea, vomiting, and stomach problems caused by anxiety, stress, depression, and gastrointestinal imbalances. Pure cbd soft gels, on the other hand, has the potential to be an appetite suppressant and metabolism booster, which may aid in weight loss and also prevent obesity.